Wat Lok Moli is a Buddhist temple located in Chiang Mai, Thailand that is often overlooked by international travelers. However, this temple holds many hidden gems that are worth discovering.
About Wat Lok Moli
Wat Lok Moli is a 14th-century temple that was built by King Kuena of the Lanna Kingdom. It is known for its intricate woodcarvings, which depict scenes from Buddhist mythology. The temple also has a large standing Buddha statue and a beautiful stupa, or pagoda.
The temple’s architecture is a blend of Lanna and Burmese styles, making it unique compared to other temples in Chiang Mai. Wat Lok Moli also has a peaceful atmosphere, making it the perfect place to relax and meditate.
What to See at Wat Lok Moli
One of the highlights of Wat Lok Moli is its intricate woodcarvings. These carvings cover the temple’s walls, doors, and windows and depict scenes from Buddhist mythology. They are some of the most detailed and well-preserved carvings in Chiang Mai.
Another highlight of Wat Lok Moli is its large standing Buddha statue. The statue is made of bronze and stands at over 15 feet tall. It is a great example of Lanna-style Buddha statues, which are known for their serene expressions and elongated earlobes.
Wat Lok Moli also has a beautiful stupa, or pagoda, that is worth seeing. The stupa is made of white and gold-colored plaster and is decorated with intricate carvings. It is a great example of Lanna-style stupas, which are known for their bell-shaped domes and ornate finials.
How to Get to Wat Lok Moli
Wat Lok Moli is located in the old city of Chiang Mai, which is a popular area for tourists. It is easy to get to by tuk-tuk or songthaew (a local transport) from the city center. It is also a short walk from other popular temples such as Wat Chedi Luang and Wat Phra Singh.
Tips for Visiting Wat Lok Moli
- Wear appropriate clothing: Wat Lok Moli is a religious site, so it is important to dress respectfully. This means covering your shoulders and knees.
- Remove your shoes: Before entering the temple, you will need to remove your shoes. There is a shoe rack outside the temple where you can leave them.
- Bring water and sunscreen: Chiang Mai can get hot and sunny, so it is important to stay hydrated and protect your skin.
- Be mindful of your surroundings: Wat Lok Moli is a peaceful place, so it is important to be mindful of your surroundings and not to make too much noise.
- Donate: Wat Lok Moli is a working temple and donations are appreciated.
- Take a guided tour: A guided tour can be helpful if you want to learn more about the temple’s history and significance.
- Come early: Wat Lok Moli is a popular spot among locals and can get crowded later in the day.
- Take photos: Wat Lok Moli is a beautiful temple and it’s worth taking a few photos to remember your visit.
- Respect the temple: Wat Lok Moli is a religious site, so it is important to respect the temple and its inhabitants.